Occupational therapy supports people with disabilities of all ages to perform daily tasks in a way that enhances their quality of life, increases their social participation, independence and overall well-being. This can include activities at home with cooking, self-care, enjoying time with friends and family, getting out and about, and participating in study or work.
Our occupational therapists work with people with a range of conditions, including those who have physical disabilities, mental, psycho-social, cognitive, or learning disabilities. We also support people who have vision or hearing impairments.
Depending on the goals of the person you support and their unique situation, our occupational therapists will work with them on a range of therapy initiatives to support them to do things more easily and safely. This could include:
- prescribing devices to help them do the activities they want and need. We will make sure they can use the device in the best way to meet their needs.
- recommending changes to their home or work environment to allow them to increase the activities they can do independently or make it easier for people to assist them.
- developing a profile of their abilities and areas where they need assistance to put together a “support plan” for the people who assist them. This will include how they need to be assisted when and where; and making sure that they have the opportunity to give things a go, have their say and be involved.
- devising a program to improve a specific ability or skill including being more independent, like using public transport or managing their own behaviour so they can better interact with others.
- supporting them during key transition in their life such as starting kindergarten, school, further studies, finding work, or moving into independent living.
Our occupational therapists will work alongside other professionals including speech pathologists and physiotherapists to provide support that meets the needs of the person you support or those of a family member.
To find out more about how one of our occupational therapists can assist a person you support to achieve their goals, please call 1300 179 131 Mon to Friday 8 am – 6 pm or complete our online form and we’ll be in touch.